The closest thing I get to Fall...
Yesterday, October 12th was Canada's Thanksgiving. Before I lived on a ship I did not know Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving in October. So my friend Jesse, who is the Head Cook, prepared an amazing Thanksgiving dinner for the whole crew, but because he was short handed in the galley (the kitchen) he asked if we (the Hospitality girls) could come help make Pumpkin Pie.
Got to use the GIANT mixer.
Guess how many eggs it took?
75 eggs!
You don't want to know how many cups of brown sugar it took :)
Filling the pans (all 7 of them) up.
was our baking day... we had another large can of Pumpkin (by the way the largest can of pumpkin I have ever seen, 6lbs) so we decided to open and treat ourselves (and the crew) with more pumpkin delights. My favorite, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies (Cassie's recipe, which is a huge hit), 4 loaves of pumpkin bread, and pumpkin bars.
So let the adventure begin...making pumpkin pie is one thing, for 300 people it's another thing, but it was fun and cooking in bulk I have learned is an art!
75 eggs!
You don't want to know how many cups of brown sugar it took :)
I know it doesn't look a pie, but when you cook in mass numbers, you work with what you have. I LOVE pumpkin... pumpkin bread, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin cream cheese, really anything pumpkin flavored except pumpkin pie, but this homemade pumpkin pie- complete with homemade crust and a pecan layer was delicious. I wont share all the stores about how we almost had a disaster of brunt pies, the important thing is... all of the Africa Mercy got to experience a little Fall with pumpkin pie (and celebrate Canada's Thanksgiving... there is a first for everything).
Then Today...
All delightful and fills my void of fall for a little while... now if it could only get cooler.

That's some professional baking! I just love pumpkin! I'm happy you were able to enjoy the best part of fall on the ship :)
ReplyDeletei found a pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe that i am going to try for jackson's halloween party! :)
ReplyDeleteand i wish it could only get warmer so i can keep wearing dresses. :) we have celebrated pumpkins all week at school. you would have fun. tomorrow we will make and eat different pumpkin treats! although i'm glad i'm not making something that has to have 75 eggs in it! i think i need this pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe!
ReplyDeleteI totally understand the warm weather thing. Except I think it might be a little warmer were you are. But I'm still wearing shorts and flip flops to school!! :)
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had your own kind of Pumpkin Dessert Party!! It is the 3rd annual this year, even though we are celebrating separate- I'm glad we both get to share in the deliciousness :)
ReplyDeletei love pumpkin! i made some pumpkin dip with ginger snaps last week--yum!
ReplyDelete