Saturday, December 26, 2009

Land ahead... last days of the sail.

The last few days of our sail were incredibily rocky.  We rolled 15 degrees back and forth.  It was hard to sleep at night and work during the day.  I have never experienced anything like it.  I felt like I was on "The Boat" amusement ride, except it never ended.  I might add that the first time I rode that ride, I was about 8 years old riding it with my sister and cousins... I hated it so much that I cried and made them stop.  Needless to say, there was no crying this time and no stoping until we made it to land, which I was so thankful for.

These pictures don't really do it justice, but I was sitting in the same spot, did not move and this is what I saw... focus on the horizon.

(This is not my picture, but thought it was a neat picture).
 
Despite the swells and rocks, we still enjoyed beautiful sunsets.

We even had bible study on deck 8 to enjoy the cool air and lovely views.

And amazing sunrises.  The water looks so still, but don't be deceived, those swells were still deadly :)

Some of the damge the rolls created...
The International lounge.

The Midships lounge.

The Galley... that is flour, sugar, etc all over the floor.

I was in awe by so many things at sea, a Rainbow and as one of the officers announced over the speaker, "basically dolphins everywhere."  One day, we saw tons dolphins, they were fun to watch... jumping, playing, and giving us a free "sea world" show.


My co-workers, the hospitality team... 4 Americans, 2 Canadians, 1 Britian, and 1 Dutchie

The Gates Famly Christmas Get Together.

Our last night of the sail, we had priase and worship up on the top deck, just as the sun was going down... perfect way to end the sail.

Land Ahoy.  I woke up about 7:30, went to deck 8 and this is what I saw... the island of Tenerife.

We were also blessed with another great sunrise.... I sure have been spoiled with amazing sunrises and sunsets over the water.

Our dock that will be the M/V Africa Mercy's new home till the end of January.

Love the houses on the side of the mountain and the sailboat school that is taking palce.

Everytime the ship leaves and arrives in Tenerife, this man plays his trumpet.  It was so beautiful to hear "Great is thy Faithfulness" as we were pulling up.  God definitely was faithful during our sail and allowed us to arrive safely.  The man played different hymns for about 30 minutes, such a great way to be welcomed.

Lowering the gangway, the final step before our feet could be planted on solid ground!

2 comments:

  1. As much as I love the boat ride I don't think I would have loved the rocking on this one! What an adventure though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, i can not imagine the feeling of that constant rocking!! i am so glad you are home safe!

    ReplyDelete