Warning... it's a long post (2 weeks of pictures), but hopefully enjoyable!!
After a very long flight... leaving Phoenix at 10:00pm Friday night I finally arrivied in Cape Town Sunday March 27 at 2:30pm (5:30am Phoenix time). Doug and his Dad met me at the airport, I was able to take a shower and the trip began with activity after activity. Kirstenbosch which is an Indigenious Botanical Gardern has concerts on Sunday night throughout the summer, the Philharmonical was playing the night I arrived, so we meet up with some of Doug's family and enjoyed a very relaxing and beautiful concert as the sun set.
After a very long flight... leaving Phoenix at 10:00pm Friday night I finally arrivied in Cape Town Sunday March 27 at 2:30pm (5:30am Phoenix time). Doug and his Dad met me at the airport, I was able to take a shower and the trip began with activity after activity. Kirstenbosch which is an Indigenious Botanical Gardern has concerts on Sunday night throughout the summer, the Philharmonical was playing the night I arrived, so we meet up with some of Doug's family and enjoyed a very relaxing and beautiful concert as the sun set.
Our neice Rachel.
Gordon (Doug's dad), Uncle Philip, Doug, Rachel and me.
Doug's brother Bruce.
The venue.
After the concert we went to Doug's church and then went to dinner with some of his friends.
Monday Doug and I took Rachel to the beach. It was a little more windy than I would of liked, but still a fun, sunny morning.
We then met Doug's family at the yacht club for lunch.
The Lister boys plus Roger (the brother-in-law)
Monday Night Doug arranged for his friends to come out and meet me. It was great to put faces to names and we had a lot of fun catching up with some of his best buddies....
Tuesday Morning we went to Aunt Helen's house for a delicius breakfast.
And then Doug took me on a drive along the coast to Kalk Bay (one of my favorite places from when I lived there).
Doug HAPPY to be driving in Cape Town and especially along the coast!!
This is the beginning of Chapman's Peak, a drive along the coast (I think it's comparable to the 17 mile drive in Monterey, CA).
Hout Bay.
The weather was absolutely beautiful that day, sunny and clear.
The weather was absolutely beautiful that day, sunny and clear.
Chapman's Peak Drive.
Our first stop in Kalk Bay.... they have the best coffee and pastries!!
(We actually came twice during our visit... that's how much I LOVE it)
View of Kalk Bay from the road on the mountain.
Our view at lunch....
Why I love this place.... it could be the great memories I had the very first time I came here almost 2 years ago, they have great food and I love all the harbor an fishing boats. It's just a quaint little town.
I actually ordered fish & chips and Doug had calamari... delicious!
Tuesday Evening was Mikaela's Shower. It was at a pottery studio, where we all decorated her "everyday" dishes. She has some creative friends & family. It's safe to say my bowl was very simple :)
Wednesday morning, Doug and I started the raining day off with a run through Newlands Forest then joined some of the family at the Waterfront for lunch.
That afternoon we went to Karen's Baby Shower.
The Lister Girls.
Thursday night Neil and Mikaela had and family join them at the Radisson for sundowners. It was a beautiful evening and a stunning sunset!
Friday morning despite the cloudiness we decided to hike Table Mountain with Uncle Phillip.
The city.
Uncle Phillip making it to the top of the mountain.... in the cloud.
Usualy on the top of the mountain you have the most incredible views of the city, which I love, but when you only have a short amount of tme in Cape Town, you can't always wait on the weather and I at least wanted to hike while I was there.
wet from the cloud...
Because of the "not ideal" weather we rode the cable car down... a first for me.
coming out of the cloud...
Wedding Day.
The Brothers.
Mr. & Mrs. Lister.
They took pictures on top of Oukaapseweg.
At the Reception... Cafe Roux in Noordehoek.
Doug's extended family.
The Dads.
with Karen & Roger.
Doug & Norman (from Scotland)
Dinner served under the tent.
We didn't leave till 1:00am... but it was a wonderful day and a beautiful wedding!!
Sunday morning Road Trip Begins....
1st stop: Hermanus.
The view from their beach house.
Monday morning Doug and I went for a hike.
We made it to the waterfall.
and Doug went to the top.
We had lunch at Harbour Rocks (where we ate 2 years ago... my last night in South Africa).
Hermanus.
Doug once again HAPPY to be driving in his favorite place!
Driving on a really bumpy road ontop of the mountain.
First sighting of Baboons.... my favorite (NOT).
Stop #2 Knysna
Sunset at "The Heads"... the opening to the Laguna which makes up the town of Knysna.
Looking out towards Knysna.
At the mouth which has pretty big currents. No insurance company will insure a yacht when going through the heads.
The lovely home we stayed in.
Their amazing garden.
Boats on the Laguna.
At the Waterfront.
Beautiful Country.
Our gracious hosts: The Wilsons.
Stop #3 Nature's Valley.
We rented little cabins on the river.
Going to the beach for an evening swim & playtime.
We had a braii for dinner....
Thursday morning we woke up to rain. Luckily it didn't rain all day, but there was no sun :(
Doug and I rented a canoe...
Our cabin from the river.
It was a smooth ride and Doug did most of the work :)
I see the beach up ahead!!
We found Bruce & Rachel playing at the beach.
Our little canoe...
Baboon eating my apple I just put in the trash can.
They all must of come out to play.
Can you see the little girl in Red?
This is what we woke up to Friday morning.... Glorious!!
Rachel showing off her worm before leaving Nature's Valley.
Friday, our last day together... we stopped in Knysna for breakfast. We decided to take a boat ride as well.
On the boat with "The Heads" (the opening to the Laguna) behind us.
Sadly, this is the only picture I have of all 4 of us. We had a great road trip and so thankful for the time we had with Bruce and Rachel.
Playing "Titanic"
We dropped Bruce and Rachel off at the George airport and Doug and I continued our way back to Cape Town.
Only in Africa will you see cattle being herded on the highway :)
We drove through Montagu (the place where Doug and I meet 2 years ago).
Montagu is known for their hot springs.
Saturday night Gordon took us to dinner at the Brass Bell, in Kalk Bay. I had Sprinkbok!!
Sunday Morning Doug ad I went to Kirstenbosch for breakfast and a walk. It's was a lovely, sunny, warm day and we were both sad we only had a few hours to soak it all up.
One last stop at Clifton Beach (Doug's favorite place).
Doug had to have one more swim in the ocean before he could get on the plane.
34 hours later we made it back to Phoenix, Arizona. Long trip home, but it was worth every minute. I loved getting to see Doug in his element!! We'll be looking forward to our next holiday back!!

Thanks for sharing--I loved all the pictures. Can't wait till Dad and I get to go visit Cape Town!
ReplyDeleteThat trip looks fabulous Jamie!! Looks like y'all had a lot of fun and I'm sure y'all soaked up every minute with the family.
ReplyDeleteLooks like a great trip! I love the pink dress!
ReplyDelete