Doug and I love going places and Holiday weekends are great times to get away. I knew Doug wanted to go camping and I wanted to go somewhere new. I worked in Durango for a summer back in 2003 and loved it and knew Doug would too. So Saturday morning we loaded the car and headed out on a 7 1/2 hour road trip to Colorado. On the way we drove through the 4 corners (Arizona, New Mexico, Coloado, Utah). The have a monument and we thought it would be fun to stop. We soon realized it was a little overrated, but we can now say we've been there.
Literally in the middle of nowhere.
Doug standing in all 4 states.
Having a picnic lunch in the corner :)
We made it to Durango!!
Loved walking around downtown... great coffee shops, bookstores, outdoor stores, etc.
Waiting for dinner at Steamworks... I remembered eating there in 2003 and it was even better than last time... worth our 45 minute wait.
Doug making bacon and eggs for breakfast.
Driving along the "Million Dollar Highway"
The higher we went, the darker the sky got and it started to rain.
Pretty sure it was pebble size hailing on us as we take this picture. It also dropped about 40 degrees.
We were planning on hiking, but because of a really bad headache that I had and the rain in the higher elevation, we decided to just do a creekside hike. Doug did buy a Durango Hikes book and is already planning our next trip and the hikes we will do.
Relaxing in our hammock at our campsite.
Because of fire bans we could not have a camp fire, so charcoal smores had to do... we got creative so we could have melty chocolate. It was the best smore I have ever had and Doug is now hooked!!
Monday morning we rode the famous Durango/ Silverton Steam Engine Train. It was an all day affair... 3 1/2 hours each way. It was so fun and beautiful. My pictures just does not do it justice.
"Building up Steam"
Arriving to Silverton....
Because of the Holiday weekend... their were campers EVERYWHERE...
in their trailers, tents, all along the river.
It was a great 4th of July Holiday Weekend!!
And it was Doug's second 4th of July he has been able to celebrate in America... he is fitting in well!!

you guys do so many fun things! i love it!!!
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorite places I have visited. Wish we had taken the train ride. It looks like lots of awesome views!
ReplyDelete