I have been home for 2 weeks. It’s the longest I have been home in Oklahoma for about 5 years. Usually I am just home for about a week for Christmas and in the summer. So it’s an adjustment to living life in Oklahoma again, but it’s really great to be around my family so much. Driving was an adjustment as well. I usually don’t drive when I’m home because I don’t have a car and when I do drive, I get to drive around in the mini van. (My car now even has an Oklahoma license plate). I am familiar with Edmond, but beyond that and I get confused of the highways and where I’m going. It’s funny to me that I can get around Phoenix so well and only lived there 4 ½ years and have lived in Oklahoma 10 plus years and can get so confused. The first time I went driving was to see my friend Denise, I had to do 3 turn arounds, from the high way entrance being blocked to missing her street, but I finally made it there.
My days consists of running (usually every morning) in the humidity that makes me sweat profusely, eating lunch with my mom and sister (at least last week), watching morning television, hanging out, getting Sonic Happy Hour drinks, being on the computer, talking on the phone and catching up with all my friends, getting sno cones, and anything else that doesn’t require much stress or work.
My Aunt Nell and cousins Matt and Allie came from Arkansas last Thursday to spend the weekend with us. I haven’t been able to see them since last summer and they are moving this weekend to New Orleans. Allie turned 16 on Thursday, so it was fun to go out to dinner for her birthday an
d embarrass Julie and Matt for singing in the restaurant. Allie is planning on going to OBU, which is where Julie and I went to college. So Friday we took a little road trip to Shawnee to show off OBU to Allie. I have not been to Shawnee since my graduation 5 years ago. It was fun to reminisce about life at OBU and to see all the new places that have come up since we have left Shawnee. I really have such fond memories of OBU. College really was the best time of my life and the friendships that I made during those 4 years have been such a blessing and so neat to know that I am still close with so many of them. As we were walking past WMU (the freshman dorm) and looking at my old dorm room window and discussing where my friends lived and who I meet my first day and that first year. Most of them are married or getting married and we still plan yearly reunions… it’s special and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. We ate at Billy Boy’s BBQ, one of my favorite places, and even got a sno cone before leaving town. It was a fun day showing off OBU and spending the day with my family. 
Sunday afternoon my mom planned an Oklahoma Style Braai (that's what South African call a cook-out). My grandparents, a couple more aunts and cousins joined us for a delicious hot dog/ bratwurst lunch outside. It was a wonderful lunch, enjoyed the company and a fun game of Ladder Ball, which Matt and I beat Julie and Ray at. We were lucky it wasn’t too hot and there was a nice breeze.
I always enjoy my morning run through the neighborhood. I have marked out a 4-mile course and have started seeing some regular walkers and lawn boys. But my favorite is watching the ducks cross the street and seeing the turtles and frogs by the pond. I was laughing to myself one day how I was used to seeing zebras, kudu, and wildebeests on my way to work in Cape Town and now I get to see ducks, turtles, frogs, spiders, flies, mosquito's, and lightening bugs (which reminds me of my childhood) on a daily basis.
My days consists of running (usually every morning) in the humidity that makes me sweat profusely, eating lunch with my mom and sister (at least last week), watching morning television, hanging out, getting Sonic Happy Hour drinks, being on the computer, talking on the phone and catching up with all my friends, getting sno cones, and anything else that doesn’t require much stress or work.
My Aunt Nell and cousins Matt and Allie came from Arkansas last Thursday to spend the weekend with us. I haven’t been able to see them since last summer and they are moving this weekend to New Orleans. Allie turned 16 on Thursday, so it was fun to go out to dinner for her birthday an
Sunday afternoon my mom planned an Oklahoma Style Braai (that's what South African call a cook-out). My grandparents, a couple more aunts and cousins joined us for a delicious hot dog/ bratwurst lunch outside. It was a wonderful lunch, enjoyed the company and a fun game of Ladder Ball, which Matt and I beat Julie and Ray at. We were lucky it wasn’t too hot and there was a nice breeze.
I always enjoy my morning run through the neighborhood. I have marked out a 4-mile course and have started seeing some regular walkers and lawn boys. But my favorite is watching the ducks cross the street and seeing the turtles and frogs by the pond. I was laughing to myself one day how I was used to seeing zebras, kudu, and wildebeests on my way to work in Cape Town and now I get to see ducks, turtles, frogs, spiders, flies, mosquito's, and lightening bugs (which reminds me of my childhood) on a daily basis.
Pictures :
Allie's 1st OBU fountain picture (this fountain has been the background for many pictures throughout college) Our brick that is around the flagpole on the oval.
Eating a sno cone... yes I made everyone take this picture through much dismay .Eating a cupcake at Cuppies and Joe
The food table.Grandpa and Dad.
Eating.
Julie and Ray.
Allie and Me.
Ray playing Ladder Ball.
Matt and I were the winners.... first one to 21 points.
My mom. Such an important part of my time home.

fun times!
ReplyDeleteyou guys are such a great family! i love that you play games all the time!!!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you are enjoying life my friend :)
ReplyDeleteLooks like a great, well-deserved vacation!
ReplyDeleteHey Jamie...miss you girl! Hope we can chat before you head out again. I am in CA until Monday then home. Give me a ring when you have some time to chat. Glad you are enjoying your time home. Think of you and pray for you often.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Kate
Hey Jamie, Loved getting to read your blog!!
ReplyDeleteBut Most of all this entry, OBU was sooo much fun and I have the BEST family. Can't wait to here more!!
Love ya Bunches,
Allie