Monday, April 13, 2009

Holiday Weekend.

Holidays in South Africa are fun!
My 4-day holiday started with a Good Friday sunrise service at Signal Hill with the church that I went to last week. My friend Cara and I had a wonderful morning worshiping on the hill then fellowshipping with some South Africans. They are were so interesting to talk to and even though we told our “story” (why we are here and for how long) so many times that morning, it was neat to see the reactions, the encouragement that they give and just to hear their thoughts. It’s hard walking into a place that you don’t know people, but so neat to be welcomed by other believers and feel at home
.
Sunrise at Signal Hill

That afternoon I ran a fun run 5k. The 2 Oceans ultra and ½ marathon is Saturday and since I wasn’t able to run the ½ marathon, I ran the fun run with Murray and his family. It took place at the University of Cape Town campus, which is beautiful up on the side of the mountain. The run was in the afternoon, so it was warm, but I loved getting to run outside and be surrounded by so many Africans of all ages. You know you’re in Africa when…. half the runners are running bare foot… I loved it! Another difference between US and S. Africa races is the water that they give you. I am used to getting a paper cup full of water, but Friday I received a little green bag about 4 inches tall full of water. I have this bag handed to me as I was running and super confused on how I’m going to open this. By observation of other I realized you tear the corner and squeeze the water into your mouth… a novel idea, I just had never seen it before. Evidently that is how they give water at all races in South Africa. And instead of giving water or Gatorade at the finish line they pass at coke, not even coke light. But I did receive a medal and so glad I was able to run a race in South Africa, even if it was only a 5k. That afternoon I also got to experience Hot Cross Buns, which is a South African tradition to eat around Easter time. I always love trying new food and especially when it is a food that is tradition for a country. Hot Cross Buns is a roll that has raisins in it with a white cross on top. I had it warm with butter, very enjoyable, but I was expecting it to be sweeter, more like a cinnamon roll.

Friday night I went to the movies over at the Water Front. I have not been to the movies in a while, so I was excited to see a movie. We saw the Confessions of a Shopaholic. Since I can’t shop, watching at movie about a shopaholic was great J it was cheesy, but funny and worth my R33 (about$4.00). You even have an assign seat at the movie.
Saturday.
Some girls and I went to Camps Bay for breakfast and the beach. It was my first time to go to a South African beach and I loved it. It reminded me of San Diego, but so much better. One side of the street is a beautiful blue water beach and the other side is Table Mountain. We just relaxed and enjoy the sun and some frozen yogurt. For dinner we went down to the Water Front and then watched a couple episodes of Friends that someone brought. I don’t really miss TV, but I miss that nothing is ever on besides soap operas. Except I do miss The Today Show every morning :)
On the Beach....
Easter Sunday.
I went to church with Cara, sat next to our friends and then went to Robben Island for the afternoon. Robben’s Island is a prison, which held former South African president Nelson Mandela, who spent 18 of his 27 years of incarceration. We took a 45-minute ferry ride across the Atlantic, where I even saw a whale (too quick for the camera, but not for my memory). We then had a bus tour of the island, which appears to me to be very lonely and sad with a lot of dead vegetation. There are about 200 people that live on the island, usually workers for the museum and they even have a school that 18 children attend. It was an interesting tour and a fun windy afternoon. We weren’t able to eat before we left, so we had snacks on the ferry and dinner afterwards at Harrie’s Pancakes, which could possibly be my favorite restaurant that I have eaten ate since I have been here. The have pancakes, that are a little thicker than crepes, but they put things inside them and you can choose between cold, hot, savory or sweet. I enjoyed a cinnamon, sugar, banana and caramel sauce pancake… delicious!
Cara, Tami and I on Robben Island with Table Mountain in the background
Monday.
I hiked Table Mountain and right now it ranks as my favorite thing I have done since I have been here. We started our hike at 8:30am on the south side of the mountain and ended on the bottom of the north side of the mountain (the side that I live on) around 5:00ish. Murray and his dad were our tour guides and we could not of done the hike with out them. Our total time on the mountain was around 8 ½ hours, which included many stops and a lunch on top of the mountain. I had no idea our hike would turn into a daylong adventure, but it was totally worth it. It took us 4 ½ hours to reach to the top and we were so excited once we finally made it there. It took us about an hour to walk to the other side where the cable car and tourist point is. (The top of the mountain is mostly flat just like a table.) After lunch and a rest it ended up taking us 2 hours to hike down because of all the rocks that we had to climb down. The views up the mountain and on the top were beautiful. I took so many pictures and they really don’t do it justice (I know I have say that a lot about the pictures here, but it is so true). This definitely was the best hike I have ever been on. It was long and at times very challenging, but everything I saw and experienced was amazing. We hiked in the shade, in the sun, through sand, through bushes, saw flowers, many lizards, climbed rocks, ladders, and stairs, squeezed through rocks, explored caves, ate snacks the whole way all in good company! Anyone that wants to look at all my pictures can and I will share the many stories along the way. My friends gave me a hard time because I wanted to talk the whole way up when everyone else was focusing on their breathing… I’m still the same person even in South Africa!
Just a few pictures to document the hike....
Group Photo:
6 American girls, 2 South Africans, 1 Morrocan, 1 Tristain Islander, and a dog

We finally made it to the top...

One of the many views from the top!

I was hoping to blog halfway through the weekend, but my internet just isn't that great. But I worked hard and i'm even staying up late to make sure this blog goes out tonight. I apologize for any mistakes, i'm tired and reaching the delirious state, but enjoy the blog and here's to a start of another week....

6 comments:

  1. what a great weekend!!! your hike sounds great... have i ever told you about the time that my family hiked down pikes peak? i think it took us approximately 10 hours and i definitely did not have the same great attitude that you have! in fact, i tried to get my parents to let me act hurt so a helicopter could come and get me.. it was awful! :) i love you jamie! miss you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR RACE!!! I am so impressed!!! :) I had to laugh out loud about your water 'cup' experience! I had read about those bags in a Runner's World article about Comrades. Funny Stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking the time to hurry and get the pictures and stories posted. I can't wait to see and hear more of all that you are getting to experience. I love you--Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it Jamie! Keep the stories and posts coming friend. Good job on the race and hike. I think I might have to come to South Africa to try it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! awesome! thanks for keeping us all updated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome weekend! We got postcards today from Karyn with your info and everything to remind us to keep you in prayer. We got some for small group, and they're supposed to be handing them out at Crash, too. It's such a pretty postcard - very "Jamie Day"! We miss you on Sundays, but love getting the updates. Keep enjoying it all!
    Ja9

    ReplyDelete