Friday, April 24, 2009

Sick and Laundry.

Today I’m sick… I had to leave the hospital early yesterday because I was sick too. I have some stomach thing, not sure what it is, if I ate something or caught something, but I hate it. And I hate that I couldn't go to work. I have only called in sick twice in my life and here I am at the hospital for 2 months and I had to call in sick. Last night I was feeling better, but this morning my stomach just was not happy when I woke up. So we thought it would be best to stay home from work especially since I leave for my safari tomorrow morning. So I have spent the day resting, watching some Grey's Anatomy, and reading. I much rather be at the hospital. Today was also my last day in day surgery, which makes me sad as well. The good new is that is now 5:00pm and I am feeling much better, so hopefully it all has passed.

Laundry. This is one thing I miss... having my own washing machine. I don’t enjoy doing laundry to begin with and when it’s not just in my house and takes more effort and it makes it that much harder for me. Today I spent at least 30 minutes today trying to get the washing machine to work and getting the right change to even do my laundry. One of the washes takes 2 skinny 5Rand and the other takes 2 big 5Rand and then the dryers take 2 skinny 5Rand. So I went out to get a muffin mainly because I needed another big 5 Rand. That mission was successful, the muffin was delicious (it even agreed with the stomach). So I go to the 3rd floor where the washing machines are… put my 2 big 5Rand in the machine and it gets stuck. So then I had to come back upstairs to get more money to go get more change. So I got to this store next door and ask for 2 big Rands. I then get ready to use the other washer and realize it takes only the skinny rands. I originally though the dryers were the only skinny rands. So I put my clothes in and then had to go back out to a different store and ask for more skinny rands for the dryer. I go to the convenience store, buy a drink and find out she didn’t have any 5Rand, so then I had to go to my 3rd store today to get change just to wash and dry my clothes and wasted at least 30 minutes in the process. But the good thing that came out of this is, I found an Orange Fanta Zero, which is like a Diet Sunkist and that did make me really happy. And the laundry is done, I have cleans clothes, so now it's just a memory.

It's another Holiday weekend, Monday is Freedom Day, so i'm going on my first South African trip. I leave for my 2 day Safari at Krueger National Park tomorrow morning at 5:45am, so it's going to be an early morning. But I'm excited to see all the animals, especially the lions! Our guide told us that 2 of the lions just had cubs and they are running around. I am going with 3 other girls, so it should be some really good times. Be looking for pictures and stories next week!

6 comments:

  1. that laundry situation sounded really frustrating. i am sorry. but so glad you are feeling better!!!! cant wait to hear about your safari adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you keep feeling better! Can't wait to hear about the safari!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your phrase, "now its just a memory." so true! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you are feeling better! I love the laundry story...oh the fun times to be had doing laundry outside of your comfort zone! At least you know the routine now! Have an amazing time on the safari!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jamie!
    I understand (in both subject matters). No coins needed at the ship, I promise. By the time you get here you will be an old pro at embracing these chaotic moments :) Glad you are feeling better my friend, just think of it as a way of boosting your immunity to these little African bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love fanta, so i bet fanta zero is great! :)

    ReplyDelete