Sorry for the delayed blog post, but better late than never...
This pass weekend I was able to leave town and explore more of South Africa. I went camping in Montague, which is about 2 1/2 hours away. I was invited by my friend Murray and his sister Debbie, and my friend Danielle came along as well. It rained a large amount of the time, but did not make it any less fun, just more wet. Once we got out of traffic it was a beautiful drive through the country, passing through vineyards and watching waterfalls on the mountains (picture on the right). The rained stopped once we arrived and luckily for the rest of the night. Once we set up camp and the rest of the group (Debbie's friends) arrived, the fire was started and we enjoyed a braai. (I think this makes for my 2nd braai in SA). The food was great, we enjoyed lamb chops, baked potato, boerwo
ers sausage and a grilled cheese & tomato sandwhich. And no camp fire would be complete with out some roasted marshmallows. The reason for going camping this weekend was Montague was having a Mountain Mania Race Event on Saturday morning, which included a 40k trail bike ride, 17k trail run, 10k trail run, or 4k trail run. Because of the rain that morning, not being consistent with my running the last week, and having a cold, I decided to just do the 4k fun run. It was a fun trail, despite the rain and I literally ran through sand, crossed creeks, and passed several rock climbers. After the races and when the rained stopped we were able to enjoy the h
ot springs of Montague (picture to your left). It was different then the hot springs I have been to in Colorado, but still very enjoyable. Afterwards we went back to the campground and since it rained the rest of the afternoon and evening, we enjoyed a lazy afternoon enjoying hot chocolate and resting in the tent. That night we went out to dinner at this Italian restaurant in the quaint mountain town that mostly speaks Afrikaans. Everything for the race was in Afrikaans as well, the race instructions to the awards ceremony.
"Howzit" is how South Africans ask "How are you?" It's always fun to learn new words and some I plan to bring back.
A few others:
Bakkie= pick up truck
Boot= trunk
Swimming costumes or cozzie= swimsuit
Just now= sometime soon
Now now= very soon
Takkies= tennis shoes
Sunday morning we traveled to Cape Agulhas, which was about 2 hours away. Cape Agulhas is the southernmost tip of Africa and where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet. The drive was beautiful, we drove through the country,rolling hills, passing many sheep, cows, and ostrich farms. And on the way home we
even drove on a dirt road for about 50k, probably the longest dirt road I have ever been on. There was not a lot in Cape Agulhas except for the lighthouse museum and the oceans meeting point. The Lighthouse museum is the only one in Africa. We were able to climb the 71 steps to the top of the lighthouse for a panoramic view of the sea and was met by some extreme wind. The rocky Cape Agulhas coastline has also proved disastrous for shipping and is known as the "Graveyard of Ships," we were able to see an old Japanese fishing boat that has been there for about 15-20 years. The drive back to Cape Town was about 4 hours, but part of it was along the coast and we drove through several coastal towns. Hermanus is known for their land whale watching, but unfortunately we were a couple months too early. It was a fun weekend out of Cape Town and I love the opportunities I have to explore and see more of South Africa.
Other Happenings:
Caroline left on Tuesday to spend a month back in the states before she continues in her new Child Life role at Red Cross Children's Hospital. She will be presenting this weekend at the Child Life National Conference in Boston, which just happens to be where she is from as well. She will be presenting at the International Child Life Networking group on Sunday about the program in South Africa. Hopefully she will be able to recruit some more Child Lifers to come to South Africa and volunteer. Carolin
e plans to be in Cape Town till around February of next year. But before Caroline left we were able to enjoy lunch at Charley's bakery, which is a place that I have been wanting to go to since I heard about it my first week I was here. Some people may call it a gaudy pink building, but I personally loved all the colors and how it stands out amid motor repair shops and the cakes are just as cheerful with their brightly colored decorations and glitter. We enjoyed quiche and split a huge banana muffin for lunch and then I took home a chocolate cupcake and it was heavenly!
Something else that was on my Cape Town bucket lis
t was High Tea at the Mount Nelson Hotel, which I was able to do yesterday. It was a beautiful sunny day for tea. I went with Danielle and our 2 friends from England Pippa and Lucy. The tea and food was delicious. It reminded me of my first high tea experience last summer at Livingstone, Zambia. I only have 8 full days left in Cape Town. I can't believe how fast the time has gone. It will be hard to leave the hospital. It is a place that I have loved being at and I will miss the patients so much. It is so fun to walk on the ward every morning to be greeted by hugs. I am thankful for this opportunity to help start a program in South Africa and so excited to see what comes of it all. I will write more about the hospital and my final thoughts soon, I just want to post this blog before I go work out and get distracted by something else. I plan on making the most of my last 8 days in Cape Town.... as Caroline would say, "Just think what all you can do in 8 days!"
More Pictures:
The Shipwreck
Climbing to the top of the light house
Murray and I at the Indian Ocean
The Mount Nelson
The delicious treats at High Tea

I really enjoy all the pictures and your perspective on things. Can't wait to have you home for a few days and hear "the rest of the story." Love, Mom
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of you for running the 4K! Even without being able to train. Very cool! What was your time? :)
ReplyDeletejamie! again, i LOVE your adventures!!! they did a story on phoenix childrens hospital on the news the other night. it made me think of you. love you.
ReplyDeleteOnce again, I'm impressed that you make every minute count while you are there :)
ReplyDelete