Friday was a Holiday and Cara’s last full day in Cape Town, so we decided to hike Lion’s Head, but it was not the best weather. When we started it was cloudy and we only made it about half way up before it started to rain. So we decided it was best to come down, mainly because the rocks were getting slippery and didn’t want to be the stupid Americans on the mountain. Since we were already wet we decided to pass on the taxi and walk back into town for brunch. We ate at a great bakery/ breakfast place. South Africans sure do know how to eat… I have not had a bad meal since I have been here (except the time we decided to eat fast food and I couldn’t even finish my burger… so no more fast food in SA). That night I went to a braii with some alumni Mercy Shippers. It was fun to talk with them and get a different perspective of Mercy Ships (people that have lived on the ship between 1-5 years). Saturday we went on another hike/walk around the base of Table Mountain. It rained on us again. That night I went to my first Rugby game, which was a lot of fun. Not only to watch Rugby, but also to attend a South African sporting event and to see how things are done. My first disappointment was that they did not sing the National Anthem, but they did walk around serving donuts and hot chocolate, instead of peanuts and hot dogs. The game was between the Cape Town Stormers and New Zealand Chiefs. The stormers lost, but it was a good game.
Sunday I woke up to my phone ringing and it was not a regular South African number, but my friend Denise calling all the way from Oklahoma. As soon as I answered I knew why she was calling… she was engaged! We always talked about how I would be the first person outside of her family to call and knew with me being in SA that would be a little more difficult, but it absolutely made my day that she was able to call me. We literally have been frien
ds since my first day of college and our friendship has only grown since then. For the last 5 years we have not lived in the same state, but that has not made a difference in our friendship. Jon is a lucky guy! Looking forward to her wedding at the end of July (just before I leave for Africa again). So if that wasn’t a perfect enough way to start my day… I also woke up to a beautiful sunny day in Cape Town. Autumn in Cape Town has been a lot of cloudy, rainy days, so these sunny days are hard to come by and the plan was to go to the beach today and so I was so happy to see the sun and no clouds. After church, Danielle and I spent the whole afternoon at Camps Bay, walking around, sitting, eating and then ended the day with a beautiful sunset. The waves where lovely, loud, and so peaceful to watch. It was a good day and perfect way to end the weekend.
Sorry that only one picture made the blog, I was wanting to post more pictures, but my internet is not allowing that, sorry there aren't more pictures. Hopefully next time!

No comments:
Post a Comment