Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Fighting Fires and Saving Buck.

This past week I finished my Gateway training in Texas for Mercy Ships. The last week of our training was the Basic Safety Training that is certified through the US Coast Guard. It definitely was an intense week, but very fun. I was able to do and complete things that I never would of dreamed of. We had a lot of classroom time and hands on practicals as well. I have included a lot of pictures, because I think they just explain it best. I have a new appreciation for fire fighters because I know what it feels like to put on a full fire suit, where a fire suit in some extreme Texas heat, and go inside a smoke filled/ fire in a shed. I know the different kinds of fires and what class they are and what fire extinguisher is needed to put the fire out. I know how to put on a SCBA (self- contained breathing apparatus). I learned about Water Safety and what do to if we needed to escape a ship. We put on immersion suits (giant red wet suits that float in water) and I even turned over a 12 man raft. So anyone that is worried about me going on Mercy Ships... I know how to be safe and what to do if an emergency happens. We had great instructors and I learned a lot. Now for picture fun....

"Buck" the 165 pound dummy that we had to rescue from the smoke-filled container.
Putting our SCBA's on...
Our fire gear laid out ready to be put on in under 2 minutes
Showing off our cute outfits!
Kelly and I ready to go...
Kelly and I coming out of the smokey shed after saving "Buck"
Some of the Girls
Putting out a Class B (gas) fire
I just think this is a neat picture... our instructor is in the brown suit
1st time to use a fire extinguisher
Kelly, myself and Becca
Getting ready to fight the real fire with the water hose... the temperature at one point inside the shed was about 800 degrees
Group 2
The Whole "Gates" Family
Lindale Fire Department came to watch and help out, so we took advantage of their truck for a photo
Water Fun:
Wearing our immersion suits... they were hard to put on and you walk like a penguin in them, but they will save our life if we need them in the sea.
Huddling together... to stay warm
Doing the "train", we are all connected and is helpful to swim a distance together and especially if someone is injured they would just be at the end.
Move huddle groups.
Moving around the pool... I think my face looks funny in this picture... I was pretty focused on the task.
Getting in the raft
The raft can hold 12 people, but it would be some tight quarters.
Flipping the Raft... I was a little nervous at first, that I wouldn't be able to flip it over, but it was much easier than I thought.
Celebration Dinner at CiCi's pizza...
It's official... I passed.

3 comments:

  1. I am completely impressed! Great job!! Can't wait to see you! I hear you'll be here in PHX soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Jamie! What an adventure. I'm so glad you were able to share your experience on your blog-and consequently, the rest of us!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Jamie! You should totally be proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete