Friday, September 4, 2009

Baking.

Every week one of my job duties is to bake cookies for several different occasions on the ship, which include new crew arrivals, birthdays, meetings around the ship and then we also “bless” certain departments throughout the week with homemade cookie trays. I have never seen so many cookies in my life and it’s amazing how fast they go, but we do have a lot of fun baking them. Sometimes we try new recipes that turn out great or not at all, and then other times we just stick to the favorite recipes that we know can’t go wrong. I had one girl that is from South Africa last week come over to me to thank me for giving her the extra cookies that were on the table from her arrival. She said that she usually does not like cookies because hers from home are hard, but these cookies were so nice and soft and that she thoroughly enjoyed them. Just another example of how fun it is to be in community with people from all over the world. Things that we (Americans) take for granted like homemade cookies, others have never had before.
The BEST part... eating the cookie dough!
Rolling peanut butter balls...
The finished product.
Busy in action...
Me, Katie and Michelle
Favorite Quote of the week:
“I always thought I could speak and understand English until I met you.” Norwegian Surgeon, after chatting with me at dinner

8 comments:

  1. that quote is absolutely hysterical. i laughed out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come you don't bless my department with cookies? Chocolate chip is case you were thinking about it and just hadn't got there yet......just saying.....

    -Elliot

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always we enjoyed the pictures. Do you have a special kitchen for "Hospitality"? Isn't that Kitchen Aid the greatest? Love Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baking cookies! So fun!! Did you teach them the Jamie Day way of saying cookies?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it Jamie- especially the quote of the week! How fun to make cookies! Maybe in October you could make pumpkin chocolate chip cookies for old times sake- but they probably don't stock canned pumpkin on the ship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jame - classic quote there! You're making me want cookie dough. What a fun duty to have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, I started laughing when I read your quote and I had to immediately read it to Matt. I can just hear you saying "coookies" and other Jamie Day words. :) Whenever I think of you and cookies it reminds me of you and Jenni eating all of the cookies when we were making my wedding programs. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete