Friday, August 14, 2009

Africa Time.

It’s Friday morning, my first long weekend here on the Africa Mercy. (Evidently today is a Holiday, still not sure what holiday it is yet). I just got finished running the dock, probably around 2 miles (back and forth twice)… it felt good to be outside and run, but the scenery and smell were lesser than desired.
I have spent 2 nights already on the ship. I’m still getting used to the swaying back and forth and how dark a room can be with out windows. It’s good to be here and know this is where I’m supposed to be.
My travels here were smooth and the flights were not too bad either. The flight times were shorter than my other trips, which can make a huge difference and breaking it up helps as well. Had a fun 1-night layover in Paris, where Kelly and I were able to meet up with some friends as well. I went to Paris back in 1993 and remembering thinking it was a really dirty city, although it had some really dirty parts that was not my overall impression. We stayed in the Latin Quarter in a hostel (my first hostel experience) and enjoyed the quaintness of the city… the cobblestone streets, bakeries, fruit and crepe stands along the streets, and great people watching. We visited the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and walked along the Seine River. It was a fun trip before heading to Africa and makes me want to revisit Europe again.
As soon as we arrived to the Paris airport to check-in, is where “Africa Time” began. It took an hour to check our baggage, 50 minutes to get through security, 30 minutes sitting on the shuttle, and an hour sitting on the plane before we even took off (1 ½ hours delayed). And then once we arrived in Cotonou we were all crammed into a small room to gather around a small luggage belt waiting for our baggage, that at times seemed like it was never going to come. An hour later we made our way through customs and was greater by familiar faces from our Mercy Ship friends. One of my favorite parts of arriving on the ship is reconnecting with friends, either from my Introduction class back in January or Gateway. Thursday morning I meet the Hospitality Department and received a small orientation before I was able to start unpacking and getting settled in my room. I have 5 roommates, 3 sets of bunk beds. It’s small, and I probably brought way too much stuff, but it will work. We had our first Thursday night community meeting and after the meeting we have an ice cream social (the one night of the week were dessert is served). Everyone is really nice, helpful when I get lost walking around the ship and very welcoming. I know it’s going to be a really good 5 months. Because it’s a long weekend, I am hoping to go into town and maybe the local hotel pool. I will start work on Monday and it looks like I will be working with a really great group of people.
My Mailing Address:
Jamie Day
M/V Africa Mercy
PO Box 2020
Lindale, TX 75771
FYI:
If you send a package, it is 35cents for each ounce after the first ounce (a letter is free) that the package receiver has to pay to pick up package. So 1 pound would be about $5.50-$6.00. So send light or money to help cover the cost. Thanks!
Phone Number:
The ship has a Florida Satellite number... so if you want the number just email me!

Eiffel Tower

Kelly and I on the top!

Kelly, me and Doug down one of the cute streets.
Notre Dame & Seine.
Kelly, Becca, Leah, Christina, and I in our tiny hostel room.
We were trying to get all our luggage in the picture, but the picture does not do it justice... there was a lot!
All our luggage at the Paris airport.
My new home.
The Gangway and the other view of the dock.
My room. I'm the bottom bunk and we each have a 1/2 closet.
Our shelves and desk.

6 comments:

  1. i'm glad all went well getting there. i'm still waiting for a reply to my email when you have time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm glad you made it to Africa safely and had fun in Paris! Love your pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the quarters look tight! but I know you'll make it work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love seeing your new home. :) i am still jealous of your time in paris! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pics Jame! Loving that room of yours...back to the dorm days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You went to Paris the first time the year i was born!! ha. Anyways, glad to see that you have gotten all settled in your tight space. :)

    ReplyDelete