Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Bon Jour.

Bon Jour, is the only french phase I know, but I am hoping to expand my vocabulary soon, as Benin is a French speaking country. I have now been in Africa and the ship for 1 week. Hard to believe that 1 week ago I was being greeted at the airport by friends and tonight as I’m writing this, I am waiting for some of my Gateway friends to arrive and to begin their Mercy Ships adventure. I am getting settled into my job and continuing to met new friends. Last weekend I was able to venture of the ship for the afternoon to attend the only beach that you are able to swim in (this is a private beach that you pay to enter, so it is clean and safe from the ripe tides). Not only was I excited to get off the ship and see some of Contonu, but also go to the beach. On the way to the beach we witnessed some crazy driving. Most people drive zimi johns (not sure if I spelled that right(, which is comparable to motorbikes or mopeds, and I was just thankful that I was not the one driving. It cost about $3.00 to get into the beach, which included a drink. The water was a bit chilly and dirty, but I somehow was convinced to get in. I can't even remember the last time I emerged into salty water. But it was fun to jump the waves and just be in the middle of the ocean. Monday night I had an evening of meetings/ orientation and about half way through I wasn’t feeling too good… we also had just learned that a virus is going around… well… guess who probably caught the lovely virus… me. Haven’t even been here 1 week and I’m already sick. Tuesday morning I was not able to get out of bed until that evening and slept the day away. I am feeling much better today and thankful that the virus or whatever it was only lasted about a day and half. More pictures and stories will come, but enjoy some of the beach...
Haley, Kelly and I at the Beach Club.
West Africa Beach.
Concrete Cabanas.

3 comments:

  1. So glad you're feeling better! I love the beach! I've been dreaming of a beach vacation all week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm glad your feeling better! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so sorry that you got sick! being sick away from "home" is the worst! you are seriously getting to see and do once in a lifetime things. i am so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete