This is what my last weekend consumed of…I participated in the Ragnar Del Sol Relay… 202.1 miles from Prescott to Mesa, split over a 12-person team. A team from my church has participated in this relay for the last couple of years and I always thought it looked like a lot of fun, but was never a runner. So last October I committed to running in the relay and was really excited. Every person on the team runs 3 different legs throughout the course. Our team started Friday morning February 27 at 8:00am up in Prescott, which meant leaving Phoenix at 5:00am to drive make the 2-hour drive up north. I was runner 1, so it was exciting to start the race! This is a picture of Van 1 at the start line in Prescott... I look cold because it was 33 degress when we started!
8:00am 1st Leg 3.6 miles, EasyThis is a picture of me at exhange 2 passing the "bracelet" off to Kelly.
It was a good run, excited to start, cold morning, but warmed up quickly. It was really just a typical run and my easiest leg of the race. I was a little anxious that the altitude would have an affect on my breathing, but it was good.

Hanging out with Van 2 at the next major exchange in Kirland, AZ (where van 1 met up with van 2). Going the most in-direct route from Prescott to Mesa you see lots of Arizona... some really pretty places and some not so pretty places... lots of desert.

Richard and Kelly

Most of Van #2

My friend Lauren from work that was running with a team from the PCH ED... I actually got to see her a couple times along the way!
7:35pm 2nd Leg 6.3 miles that turned into 7.1 miles, Hard

This was the leg I was most nervous about; it is the only leg that the whole duration of the leg was on a trail. Trail running is not something that I have done a lot of and was really unsure what the trail would look like. At this point in the journey everyone is in the middle of nowhere and it is DARK. At night everyone has to wear a headlamp, and reflector vest, but that does not take away the unknown of being in the middle of no-where. So I started my run… I see some runners ahead of me and was thinking as long as I can see a runner in front of me at all times I’ll be okay…. that does not happen. But thankfully I meet a friend, Megan along the way and she truly was a God-sent. Our conversation started by us commenting on wearing the same shirt, we chatted some and I remember thinking, “I sure would love to talk to her, but wasn’t sure if she wanted to talk.” The next thing I know we were chatting and sharing our common fear of running in the dark and especially on this trail that became an “obstacle course.” We literally were dodging trees, cacti, bushes, ditches; a couple times having to run in sand and narrow passes with a barbwire fence on the other side. Needless to say it was an adventure and so thankful for Megan (mother of 3 from Mesa) and the opportunity to run the 6.3 miles that turned into 7.1 miles together. Not only was it great to have a running buddy, she pushed me and I was running the fastest mile I have ever run. We fluctuated from 8minute 30second miles to 9minute 30second miles and ended with a 10-minute mile.
8:40am 3rd Leg 8.7 miles, Very Hard
Picture of me at my last exchange:

Off I go....

I knew this was my hardest leg and it was unfortunately that it was my last leg and not at the beginning. Saturday morning after my 2-½ -3 hours of sleep in a school gym, I was preparing myself for what laid ahead. I was getting anxious as I was watching the clock and anticipating my long run. I kept telling myself that it would be just like my usual Saturday morning runs, but the one major difference I quickly found out was I’m very much used to running on flat ground and this leg involved a constant incline the whole way. It was challenging in many ways: a hill and very long, I was running into the wind at one point, I was tired and did not have much sleep, and the sun was definitely warming up. But one of my favorite things about this run was the support from my team. They would periodically stop along the course to give me water and encouragement. At one particular time I was in desperate need of water and kept running/ walking up this hill hoping that I would see them soon. When I finally saw them they not only gave me water, but peeled an orange for me and it was exactly what I needed… support, encouragement and a little fuel. The last 2 miles were extremely difficult; I was hurting and just wanted to be done. But the feeling you get when you finish running is the reason I run… it’s hard and fun all at the same time and the accomplishment afterwards is worth every moment of pain during. I DID IT… I finished my 3 legs and was now able to enjoy the rest of the day and support/ encourage my team.
Passing the bracelet off to Kelly!

During our 6th runner’s last leg, our runner was cramping up and did not want to put our team behind, so asked if he could get another runner. I was feeling good and was rested from my morning run, so jumped out of the van and ran my teammates final 2 miles to the last major/ van 2 exchange. Once again the run was uphill (which I’m learning to conquer) and it was 2:00 in the afternoon, where the temperatures were in the mid 80’s. The additional 2 miles brought my mileage for 2 days up to 21.4 miles. Definitely the most I have ever run and an adventure that I will always remember. It was a fun weekend! Where else do 200 plus teams of people that are crazy enough to run 200 miles in 30 plus hours surround you? My title for the blog really sums it up… you run, drive, sleep very little and then repeat it all over again until you finish. I would do it again and hopefully one day will be able to.
Hanging out at the Finish Line in Mesa! 
Kelly and I are in our Rhino Crash Running Shirts

Van #1

The Whole Team (sorry the pictures aren't very good)

Our Celebration dinner at Casey Moore's in Tempe later that week!
What an accomplishment! You should be so proud of yourself Jamie. I haven't gotten to talk to you about the run yet so it was nice to catch up this way. I'm glad you got your blog up and running again. Come over anytime for your tutorial :)
ReplyDeletei'm so impressed...and proud.
ReplyDeleteJamie you are a rock star!!! Way to go!!
ReplyDelete